Consett AFC 




Report by Billy Montague

Saturday 16 th February 2019

Ebac Northern League


Dunston UTS made the journey to North West Durham to take on Consett at their Belle View Stadium in this crucial Ebac Northern League First Division fixture. Dunston were in fine form of late while the hosts had recently suffered some rather disappointing results and were determined to turn things around. Manager Chris Swailes had the luxury of a full squad to choose from when Jack Elliott passed a late fitness test. Scott Heslop returned after injury and replaced the unlucky Jordan Nellis who dropped to the bench.


Consett: Hayes, Green, Holden, Allen (Cassidy), Purewal, McKinnon, Craggs, Slocombe, Juul, Carr, Cornish (Mackay). Subs not used: Hawkins, Male, Lawrence.


Dunston UTS: Dryden, Marrs, Halliday, Stafford, Grant-Soulsby (Scott), Capewell, Elliott J (Jackson), Pearson, Fitzpatrick, Heslop, Brooks (Nellis). Subs not used : Elliott C, Haley .


The game got underway on a bright but bitterly cold afternoon, with a brisk diagonal wind blowing in the faces

of the Dunston players. The 3G playing surface made for a lively start and it was the visitors who created the first danger on 3 minutes when good approach play set up Mark Fitzpatrick whose powerful shot was blocked and when the ball fell to his feet again he hammered in another effort which was deflected for a fruitless corner. Five minutes later, a long-throw by Dan Halliday found it’s way to Fitzpatrick in the six-yard box and again his shot was deflected behind.


Consett responded well and on 10 minutes a low shot from Matty Slocombe flew a couple of feet past Karl Dryden’s left-hand post. A minute later it was Matty Cornish who sent a shot over the Dunston bar before Consett grabbed the lead in the 14 th minute. There seemed little danger when Matty Cornish gained possession around 25-yards from goal but he sent in a power drive which took a wicked bounce on the unpredictable playing surface right in front of keeper Karl Dryden and the ball ended up in the net. 1 – 0 .


Dunston responded well to this set-back and worked their way back into the game. Jack Elliott made several penetrating runs on the left flank but the final ball wouldn’t fall to the feet of the visiting strikers. When Jake Stafford sent in a searching ball on 19 minutes, home centre-back Ryan McKinnon headed narrowly past his own post with keeper Kyle Hayes beaten.


Dunston deservedly drew level in the 25 th minute when strong appeals for hand-ball by a Consett defender

were turned down by the referee before the ball was forced into the box where Scott Heslop was clearly

brought down for a penalty. Mark Fitzpatrick confidently stroked home the spot-kick giving Hayes no chance.

1 – 1 .


Boosted by the equaliser, Dunston then had their best spell of the game in the next few minutes but lady luck was on their side on the half-hour mark when a snap shot from Aksel Juul struck Karl Dryden’s crossbar. The ball was then swept to the opposite end of the pitch and a superb Scott Heslop pass released Michael Pearson clear on goal but Kyle Hayes raced out to bravely block.


Two minutes later, Jake Stafford shot narrowly over after good passing play from Liam Marrs, Mark Fitzpatrick

and Liam Brooks. ​ Somewhat against the run of play, Consett regained the lead in the 37 th minute and the playing surface played a big part once again.


Following a corner-kick, Michael Pearson looped a clearance up into the air and when the ball fell to Nicholas Green , he swivelled to send in a low shot. Karl Dryden went full-length to make what appeared to be a fine save but the spin on the ball took it onto the inside of the post and slowly into the net. 2 – 1 .


Dunston fought back and only a desperate last ditch tackle by Ryan McKinnon prevented Mark Fitzpatrick from scoring when he burst through on 41 minutes. Before the break, Kyle Hayes had to be at his best to grasp a wayward header by his team-mate Arjun Purewal following a Dan Halliday long-throw into the six-yard box. Half-Time Score: Consett 2 Dunston UTS 1 With the wind at their backs, Dunston UTS made a positive start to the second-half and on 47 minutes Liam Marrs combined with Scott Heslop to set up Mark Fitzpatrick who volleyed over. Jack Elliott suffered an injury on 48 minutes and was replaced by Cieran Jackson. He was immediately involved in the play and showed great tenacity to cause some problems on the left. On 50 minutes another fine pass by Scott Heslop released his strike partner Mark Fitzpatrick through on goal and as he prepared to shoot from the edge of the box, he was clipped from behind by Ryan McKinnon who received only a caution from the referee. The resulting free-kick from 19-yards was superbly flighted into the roof of the net by Liam Marrs with keeper Kyle Hayes clutching at thin air. 2 – 2 .


Dunston UTS were now playing with real confidence and went close again on 54 minutes when Dan Halliday

made a strong run into the box before his shot was defelected just past the post. Cieran Jackson was proving

a thorn in the side for Consett and he shot narrowly wide two mintues later. Good inter-passing between Jake Stafford and Michael Pearson on 58 minutes produced an opening for Scott Heslop who hit a screamer from

23-yards which dipped past the shocked Hayes before he could react. 2 – 3 .


Consett were far from finished in the game and kept on plugging away through the lively Luke Carr and Askel

Juul. With Danny Craggs prompting in midfield they went close on a couple of occasions as Juul just failed to convert a dangerous Darren Holden cross and then Nick Allen shot over after a good pass from Carr. They went even closer on 70 minutes when a skillful run took Luke Carr to the edge of the Dunston box and he saw his curling shot cannon back off the post.


Dunston resumed their onslaught at the other end to go close from Mark Fitzpatrick on 72 minutes and only another fine Hayes save kept the Dunston top-scorer out when he got on the end of a superb Scott Heslop cross. From the resulting corner taken by Cieran Jackson, a towering header from Dan Capewell looked a goal all day before Hayes somehow tipped over.


The keeper was left helpless on 82 minutes when a free-kick was awarded after Cieran Jackson tricked his marker into a clumsy foul just outside the corner of the box. Liam Marrs sent in a wicked curling delivery and Arjun Purewal let the ball skim off the top of his head and past Hayes for an own-goal. 2 – 4 . Dunston were in no mood to let the result slip now and drew further saves from Hayes on 83 and 85 minutes from Mark Fitzpatrick and Scott Heslop respectively.


There was no let- up and the effort to win every ball continued until the final minute of added-time.


Full - Time Score: Consett 2 Dunston UTS 4 Dunston’s


Man of the Match: – The whole squad – Make no mistake, this excellent result was achieved by every player in the squad. We still have a long way to go but if we can continue this togetherness we’ll get there. The spirit is fantastic with every member pulling in the same direction and contributing their very best.

 Dunston UTS 2018-2019
  Match Pictures None
Video Highlights