Dunston UTS v North Ferriby United

Report by Billy Montague

Saturday 8th September 2018

Emirates FA Cup – First Round Qualifying


Dunston welcomed North Ferriby United of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division to the UTS Stadium for this Emirates FA Cup First Round Qualifying Tie. The visitors made the 133-mile trip from East Yorkshire with memories of their recent outstanding 3-0 victory over the much fancied South Shields fresh in their minds and must have been confident of making progress. Dunston UTS manager Chris Swailes was forced to make a change to his attack with speedy wide-man Jack Elliott still suffering from the knock he sustained late in the game the previous Saturday. Liam Brooks came into the starting line-up.


Dunston UTS: Dryden, Marrs, Halliday, Stafford, Grant-Soulsby, Hall, Thear, Pearson (Haley), Fitzpatrick

(Elliott C), Heslop (Nellis), Brooks. Subs not used: Harrison, Capewell, Little.


North Ferriby: Exall, Williamson, Robson, Forrester, Clappison, Piercy, Norton (Leyland), Lamplough

(Dunkerley), Harrison, Knox (Nichols), Lofts. Subs not used: Mail, Saltmer.


Dunston made a blistering start to the Tie and forced the visitors back straight from the kick-off. They grabbed a shock lead after only three minutes when Michael Pearson latched  onto a good through-ball from Liam Thear before sending over a great cross which was met by Liam Brooks who soared above his marker to send a bullet header over keeper Lewis Exall and into the roof of the net. 1 – 0.


Ferriby were visibly shaken by the set-back but gradually worked their way back into the game with some precise passing in midfield but failed to threaten until the 13th minute when bustling centre-forward Jordan Harrison burst through only to be denied by a brave save at his feet by Karl Dryden. The visitors now had a foothold in the game and two minutes later right-back James Williamson popped up on the edge of the box to send a good low shot which was deflected narrowly wide.


From the resulting corner the ball reached Jamie Forrester who shot across goal but nobody was able to get a vital touch. Forrester tried again on 20 minutes but this time his low effort went wide of the Dunston goal. In the 27th minute Dunston almost doubled their lead when Liam Thear made a telling run past a couple of defenders before fizzing in a shot that passed right across the six-yard box with two Dunston players just failing to tap in. An identical situation was repeated three minutes later when Scott Heslop and Liam Marrs slid in but couldn’t convert a Liam Brooks cross.


Karl Dryden remained relatively untroubled at the other end despite Ferriby working hard to make progress. It was the home side who were looking more likely to get the next goal as the game approached half-time. In the 42nd minute Liam Thear took possession around 25-yards from goal and his tricky run took him to the edge of the box where he unleashed a shot that brought a good save from Lewis Exall. Two minutes later, the keeper did even better when Scott Heslop caught a Liam Marrs cross on the volley but his goal-bound effort was brilliantly tipped away by the keepr at full stretch.


Half-Time Score:  Dunston UTS  1    North Ferriby United  0


Early exchanges at the start of the second-half were quite even with neither side able to fashion a clear goal-scoring chance but on 51 minutes Michael Pearson broke through the visitors’ back-line onto a Jake Stafford through-ball and keeper Exall had to rush out to save at his feet. In the 58th minute Dunston almost increased their lead when Liam Brooks cleverly beat his marker on the left and his low cross evaded everybody in the six-yard box. Liam Thear latched onto the loose ball to send it back into the danger area but Exall managed to claim possession.


Three minutes later, Scott Heslop just failed to convert another dangerous Liam Brooks cross as he attempted to flick past the keeper. Dunston were not to be denied however, and in the 63rd minute the overlapping Liam Marrs was crudely pulled back by Paul Robson as he headed towards the right corner of the box. Marrs took the free-kick himself and sent a wicked ball towards goal where Mark Fitzpatrick got the slightest of touches on it with his head and the effort ended up in the net  2 – 0.

Ferriby had kept up the battle but this was the goal that gave Dunston a bit of breathing space in the game and it wasn’t long before they increased the lead. In the 66th minute Liam Thear latched onto a pass from Scott Heslop and ran at defender Ben Clappison into the right-side of the box. Thear tricked his way past his man before being taken down by full-back Paul Robson for a clear penalty. Mark Fitzpatrick stepped up to hammer home the spot-kick, leaving keeper Lewis Exall flat-footed 3 – 0.

Despite the deficit Ferriby kept up their effort to get back into the game but were finding the home defence a tough nut to crack and when they did create openings they found keeper Karl Dryden in top form. Having all been cautioned, Michael Pearson, Mark Fitzpatrick and Scott Heslop were all substituted in the 70th minute. They were replaced by Callum Elliott, Aiden Haley and Jordan Nellis. The substitutes took a few minutes to settle and pick up the pace of the game and it was the visitors who began to gain the upper hand for a short spell. Dryden had to be alert to come out and punch clear on 80 minutes when James Williamson sent in a dangerous cross towards the head of centre-forward Jordan Harrison. Ferriby did pull a goal back on 83 minutes when a good attack on their right saw James Nichols cut inside and square to Jamie Forrester who sent in a powerful low shot which Karl Dryden had covered until it was diverted past him into the net. 3 – 1.

The visitors kept on attacking and drew the best out of Karl Dryden who pulled off a brilliant save to parry away a fine low cross-shot from Luke Lofts in the 86th minute to prevent the score-line from narrowing even further. Two minutes later, substitute Charlie Dunkerley made a forceful run at the Dunston back-line in the left channel but he fired wide of the target. This missed chance would prove costly as UTS sealed the Tie with another goal in the very next minute. Jake Stafford gained possession on half-way and lofted a good pass to Liam Thear who ran on before touching past onrushing keeper Exall, leaving him the simple task of slotting into an empty net 4 – 1.

Four minutes of added time were seen out by the jubilant home side with no further scoring opportunities arising.   

Full-Time Score:  Dunston UTS  4  North Ferriby United  1

Dunston’s Man of the Match:  Michael Hall – In an excellent all-round team effort, Michael stood out with his composure on the ball and determination not to be beaten. These qualities were reflected throughout the whole team and the attitude from every player was first class. Now we just have to maintain it over the next seven months! Easy !

Dunston UTS man of the match... Michael Hall


Video Higlhights.


Match Pictures by Ron Aitchinson