Dunston UTS v Guisborough Town

Tuesday 26th March 2019.

Ebac Northern League Division 1.

Attendance: 437

Match report by: Danny Whalen.


Dunston UTS secured the Ebac Northern League 1st Division title for the third time in their history with a 3-1 win at home against Guisborough Town. Before the game the hosts only required a single point from their remaining six games in order to be crowned champions as nearest rivals Bishop Auckland had hit a run of poor form recently, thus placing Dunston UTS firmly in pole position going into the final stretch of the season.

Dunston UTS will now be promoted to The Evo-stik East Division and play at Step 4 of the nonleague pyramid for the first time since their inception as a humble works team.

A large crowd of 437 filled into The UTS Stadium on a cold Tuesday night with the locals all too aware of the importance of tonight’s game. As has been the pattern throughout the season,


Dunston UTS started the game full of energy. The hosts took the lead with only 4 minutes on the clock, Guisborough Town keeper Jordan Nixon lofted in a free kick from 70 yards out, the ball dropped into the Dunston UTS box only for a quick thinking Liam Brooks to fire a technically perfect long range effort from all of 85 yards out, with Nixon well off his line the home fans sensed something magical as the ball bounced up onto the crossbar, with the keeper struggling to deal with the effort, an unmarked Mark Fitzpatrick was in a prime position to nod in the rebound from a few yards out for his 25th league goal of the season.

Guisborough Town were in no mood to make it easy for Dunston UTS as they equalised on 15 minutes through Daniel Earl, a slip at the back for Dunston UTS allowed Earl to turn well and fire his left footed effort into the bottom corner. As the first half progressed the game was a tight affair; Guisborough Town had a good chance to take the lead on 35 minutes only for an unmarked Daniel Earl to hit his effort way over the bar having manoeuvred himself into a decent position between Karl Dryden and the Dunston UTS back four. Steven Roberts flashed an effort wide of the top corner moments later as the second half concluded with a period of heavy pressure from Dunston UTS, however the home side were unable to carve out any clear chances in the closing stages of the first half as the two sides went into the break on level terms.

Half time 1-1.

The two sides came out unchanged for the second half. The first moment of note saw Liam Brooks rattle an effort off the Guisborough Town crossbar with Michael Pearson unable to direct his headed effort on target from the rebound. Luke Nixon fired an effort over for Guisborough Town on 60 minutes whilst a minute later Fitzpatrick had the ball in the back of the visitors net only to be adjudged offside, the opportunity coming from a superb flick on by strike partner Scott Heslop.

Dunston UTS regained the lead on 65 minutes through Jack Elliott, Liam Brooks played a excellent through ball to allow the talented winger to drive at the Guisborough Town defenders, who were seemingly unsure on how to avert the danger of the wingers close control and pace, Elliott waited for the space to open up and present an opportunity to strike as he majestically lashed his effort into the roof of the net, sending the home support into raptures.

Aiden Haley went close to furthering the lead for Dunston UTS, collecting a pass from a deep marauding Liam Marrs run, his goal bound effort was cleared off the line by the quick reactions of Guisborough Town’s Brian

Close. Mark Fitzpatrick added Dunston UTS’s third goal of the game on 75 minutes the striker slotted the ball into the bottom corner having been picked out by a tremendous Scott Heslop defence splitting pass.

Dunston UTS remained in control of the game until referee Chris Ellis finally brought the game to a close. The

result ensured Dunston UTS secured the Northern League title and promotion having had to wait two weeks for

an opportunity to claim the necessary points.

Final score: Dunston UTS - 3 (Fitzpatrick 4, 75. J, Elliott, 60). Guisborough Town - 1. (Earl, 15).

Team line-ups.
Dunston UTS FC: Dryden, Marrs, Halliday (C), Haley, Grant-Soulsby, Capewell, Brooks (C,Elliot) Pearson, Fitzpatrick, Heslop (Jackson), J,Elliott (Nellis) Subs not used: Scott, Da Silva.

Guisborough Town FC: J,Nixon (C), Snook (Mills), Graham, Bythway, Close (Marshal), Marron, Roberts, Robinson, Hume (McNeill), Earl, L, Nixon. Subs not used: Howard, Mills.

Referee: Chris Ellis, Assts: Joe Pringle, Richard Rowe.

Attendance: 437

Man of the Match: There are plenty of contenders for this however the whole team deserve the recognition for

their impressive team performance and professional approach to the game. They played superbly as a unit

which has been the hallmark of the successes they have achieved in what has been a vintage season for

Dunston UTS FC.





Dunston UTS 2018-2019

After the game Dunston UTS Chairman took control of the tannoy to congratulate Chris Swailes and his players on what has been a tremendous season as the players gathered in the centre circle to a very audible rendition of Championes, Championes, Olé, Olé, Olé.

After the game he went on to thank the supporters for their attendance.




The Northern League Trophy will be presented to Dunston UTS FC on their final home game of the season against Ashington FC on Tuesday April 2nd.

Dunston UTS’s next fixture: 15:00 Saturday 30th March vs Hebburn Town away.