Ryhope CW v Dunston UTS

Report by Billy Montague

Saturday 24th November 2018

Ebac Northern League – First Division

Dunston made the journey to the Recreation Park in Ryhope to take on the CW side for the second time this season having already won there in an early Round of the FA Vase. The home side always provide stern opposition and possesss several excellent players so a good game was in prospect. As well as long term absentees Michael Hall and Liam Thear,  Manager Chris Swailes had to reckon without Callum Little, Niall Harrison, Tom Bexton and the suspended Dan Capewell. On the plus side, Craig Scott, Jake Stafford and

Liam Brooks had recovered from injury and were fit to start the match.


Ryhope CW: Atkinson, Nicholson, King, Riding, Jones (Devlin), Trewick, Bird, Skidmore (Shaw), Rae (Kane), Weirs, Ellis. Subs not used: Ball, Waites.


Dunston UTS: Dryden, Marrs, Halliday, Stafford, Grant-Soulsby (Elliott C), Scott, Nellis, Pearson,

Fitzpatrick (Heslop), Brooks (Jackson), Elliott J. Sub not used: Haley.


On a bitterly cold and wet afternoon, Dunston started the game on the front foot with the slope of the pitch in their favour. A couple of promising early attacks failed to produce a clear goalscoring opportunity and on four minutes the home side broke away through Michael Rae and some powerful running created a chance for Nat Skidmore who sent in a low shot that forced a save from Dunston keeper Karl Dryden.


Dunston replied two minutes later when Jack Elliott made a penetrating run on the left, leaving two defenders trailing and when he sent over a dangerous cross he forced a good claim by keeper Joe Atkinson to avert the danger. Jordan Nellis then got on the end of a good passing move between Jake Stafford and Liam Marrs but

his shot flew over.


In the 13th minute Atkinson had to deal with a tricky Liam Marrs cross and three minutes later Nellis almost converted a Jake Stafford cross but the Ryhope defence scrambled the ball away from the goal-line. On 21 minutes Karl Dryden had to be at his best when some enterprising play between the impressive James Ellis and Robbie Bird presented a shooting chance on the edge of the box for Michael Rae. The big forward struck his low shot well but Dryden, going the wrong way, stuck out a leg to divert the ball away to safety. At the other end, two minutes later, Mark Fitzpatrick set up Liam Brooks who looked a certain scorer until Atkinson blocked the effort with his legs.


In Dunston’s next attack appeals for a penalty were waved away after Jordan Nellis appeared to be bundled to

the ground. In the 28th minute Ryhope looked dangerous again when Nathanial Skidmore gained possession just outside the Dunston box but his powerfull shot was deflected high over the bar by Jake Stafford.


Liam Brooks was desperately unlucky not to open the scoring on 36 minutes when he beat his marker before sending in a good effort that looked like going into the top right corner but Atkinson went full length to produce a wonderful save.


Two minutes later a clever run by Mark Fitzpatrick saw him get in behind the home defence and Jordan Nellis

was inches away from turning home at the far post. The pressure was mounting on Ryhope as Dunston strove to make the breakthrough before half-time but it looked like they would survive without conceding.


Following a free-kick from the right by Liam Marrs on 44 minutes a frantic period of play ensued when the Ryhope defence failed to clear. Jordan Nellis drew a superb save from Atkinson at his right-hand post then the keeper bravely saved again when Michael Pearson shot from the rebound. This time the ball fell to Craig Scott who hammered in an effort which was blocked by Ben Riding with his outstretched arms resulting in a caution and a penalty-kick being awarded. After the furore had died down, Mark Fitzpatrick stepped up to confidently stroke home from the spot. 0 – 1


Half-Time Score:  Ryhope CW  0   Dunston UTS 1


The expected Ryhope onslaught at the beginning of the second-half didn’t materialise and it was Dunston who made most of the running in the early exchanges. On 52 minutes a good headed flick-on by Liam Brooks released Mark Fitzpatrick but as Joe Atkinson rushed from his goal, the Dunston top-scorer sent his shot past the angle.


A minute later Fitzpatrick won an aerial challenge in mid-field to feed the ball to Jordan Nellis who made ground before firing an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner of Atkinson’s net from 25-yards. 0 – 2.


In the 55th minute it was Mark Fitzpatrick who went close to increasing the lead when he latched onto a Liam Marrs pass to draw another excellent save from Atkinson. Dunston were now pressing hard and a third goal came on 60 minutes although it wasn’t without some controversy. Jack Elliott made a good cross-field run before lofting a brilliant pass to Mark Fitzpatrick who had made a clever run into the box from deep. He took control before running across the six-yard box and slotting home.


The Assistant Referee flagged for offside against the non-active Liam Brooks but was correctly over-ruled by the Referee and the goal stood. 0 – 3. Ryhope never gave up the fight and pulled a very good goal back on 65 minutes when forceful play on the left by Michael Rae allowed him to square to the skillful James Ellis who made no mistake from the edge of the box. 1 – 3.


Right-back Corey Nicholson made a good run to the edge of the box but his final effort flew high over two minutes later before Scott Heslop went close for Dunston on the break on 71 minutes. Incredibly, Ryhope scored again on 73 minutes when substitute Jack Devlin forced his way to the edge of the Dunston box and sent in a powerful low shot that picked up pace off the greasy surface and sped past Karl Dryden. 2 – 3.

Devlin forced a good save from Dryden on 76 minutes but the crucial goal was scored by Dunston on 79 minutes when a brilliant long clearance from Craig Scott saw Scott Heslop get between the two central defenders to chest the ball beyond them and run on before smashing a low shot just inside Atkinson’s right post. 2 – 4.


With a comfortable gap now between the sides, Dunston ensured that there would be no late scares and secured another three valuable points against very strong opponents.   


Full-Time Score:  Ryhope CW  2   Dunston UTS  4


Dunston’s Man of the Match: The whole team – Impossible to single out one individual in another great

TEAM performance.



Attendance 177


Match Pictures None


Video Highlights   Thanks to Ryhope CW